Sunday 1 July 2012

Acoustic or Electric?? This is my opinion

I wanted to answer a question that is frequently asked by people learning to play. "Should I buy an electric or an acoustic guitar"? Well, its really up to yourself as there is no right or wrong answer. Some people think that the electric is a follow on from the acoustic (its more advanced) but in my opinion it isn't. If you take two guitars in the same price range that are both correctly set up, the acoustic will probably be harder to play as in most cases you have to press on the strings harder. This is one of the reasons (in my opinion) that people give up trying to learn so soon, the fingers become very sore and the notes they are hitting will sound awful. With an electric guitar however, it is easier to move and down the fret board (you will still develop sore finger tips but not as harsh) as the necks on electric guitars are generally smoother. Your choice will also be influenced on the style of music you want to play, if hard rock is your thing then go for the electric. If you want to learn classical or folk music, it has to be an acoustic.Having said all that most guitar players I know own both electric and acoustic guitars (some just own an acoustic and dislike electric!!). If I had to choose one it would be the electric. Like I said this is just my opinion, the final decision is down to you. Keep practicing!! I one met this girl at a guitar exhibition here in Ireland two years ago and she gives some good advice - Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment